Cannibal Ferox (1981) *1/2

I don't have much to say about Cannibal Ferox (1981). I've never been a fan of cannibal films (and I've seen more than a few). Cannibal Holocaust (1980) is a well-made film within the genre (though still one I never need to see again, and I've seen it more than once) with some level of social commentary, but CF is just mean-spirited and gory for the sake of being mean-spirited and gory (with some heavy-handed and weak attempts at the same type of commentary). That wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the cruelty toward and real killing of animals (in both of the above-mentioned films). It's one thing to capture footage of animals hunting each other in the wild or native people eating animals that are part of their regular diet, it's another to tie up an aardvark and film a snake strangling it solely to disturb the audience. Anyway, there is some funny dialogue and some good makeup f/x but otherwise this is just simply not a film for me (and not a terribly well-made film either). The main theme is tight though.


Comments