Scream VI (2023) **1/2

Following a similar trajectory as Scream 2 (1997), Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett's sequel to their requel isn't as clever or as fun as the aforementioned Wes Craven film and isn't as good as Scream (2022) (or is it Scream V now?), but it mostly satisfied my expectations when it comes to this series. There's a few tense set pieces and it keeps you guessing but the characters are more annoying this go-around (particularly their dialogue). The absence of both Neve Campbell and David Arquette for the first time is definitely tangible as well. 

Scream VI does a decent job of tying in iconography and references to every one of the previous entries and the finale is a pretty good ride. Overall though, the film left me with a shrug, which about sums up the franchise for me—the films try so hard to subvert the previous ones but in the end they're all part of an ouroboros formula. I'll keep watching 'em because I suppose I'm a horror movie junkie like anyone else.

You can find my reviews of the previous Scream films here: 123, 4, 5


Comments