Backtrack (aka Catchfire) (1990) ***

Catchfire (1990), disowned by director Dennis Hopper (released under the pseudonym Alan Smithee) and re-released in 1992 in a director's cut known as Backtrack, is truly one of those inexplicable films that you just have to experience. It's full of elements of other, better, genre films but this glorious mess of a movie is very watchable. And my god, what a cast. I watched the director's cut and it still feels hobbled together but I was expecting a lot worse from its reputation. It's really just a string of things that happen (aren't all Hopper-directed films like that though?) but I found it really enjoyable.









I'd have that same look on my face with those kicks on my feet, Mr. Turturro.

Grand L. Bush, one of a number of actors whose role essentially amounts to a cameo.



A scene for the ages.

Jodie Foster deeply reconsidering why she agreed to be in the film.


An uncredited Bob Dylan as a chainsaw-wielding artist is just one of the movie's many pleasures.

Leer at your girl the way Hopper leers at Foster.


Squad goals

Tarantino approved



Comments