Nightbreed (1990) ***

Nightbreed (1990), essentially Clive Barker’s The Island Of Dr. Moreau with a dash of vampire lore, is a film I’ve never been able to fully embrace (despite having seen it numerous times). 

Messy in the same way as Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) (review), there’s a bit too much goofiness that doesn’t mesh well with the more adult themes and a definite lack of backstory and characterization (though David Cronenberg is fun in his role). There’s also confounding editing choices. I honestly think there is too much going on in the final third (the action is wild but haphazard). 

It all makes for a hodgepodge, which, even in the director’s cut (review), never quite gels. That cut does flesh out characters better and the ending is vastly different (and superior) but overall it really just feels longer. As much as I love Hellraiser (1987) (review), Clive Barker is simply a better writer than director. The ideas behind the film are more interesting than the execution (which reminds me that I am overdue for a re-read of the 1988 novella Cabal on which this film is based).

Still, Nightbreed is an engaging blend of horror and fantasy with some truly evocative imagery (the production design of Midian is awesome). As a last gasp of the gonzo ‘80s (the best decade for practical effects), the movie is positively chock-full of wonderful creatures and makeup. I vacillate each viewing regarding how I feel about Danny Elfman’s score—when I watched the director's cut in 2014, I thought it felt out of place; on this viewing I enjoyed it.

It’s intriguing to think about how the picture would have turned out with a different director and/or more finesse. But as a morality tale that sympathizes with monsters/outcasts and shows the evils of xenophobia, wrapped in a cloak of dark horror fantasy, I can't help but admire it.










Comments