Rio Bravo (1959) ****1/2

I've seen Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo (1959) at least a half dozen times in the past quarter century. I've always loved the film but, for whatever reason, I enjoyed it the most I have yet on this viewing. It could have something to do with watching the film on 4K UHD and it looking the best I've ever seen (having owned and watched it on three different home video formats now).

John Wayne (and his stilted delivery) is not generally my cup of tea, even when he's in excellent films, but he's perfect in the role as Sheriff John T. Chance. I think this is because Hawks knew how to surround him with an impeccable cast and because the director wasn't out to make just a straight western. No, there is so much going on with the characters and their interplay (Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson, and Walter Brennan are all delightful). In addition to that, everything is perfectly lit (so much of the film takes place at night and/or indoors), and the tone is spot on, effortlessly bouncing from humor to romance to violence. 

While I think the film could probably still work at two hours, I do appreciate that it takes its time really getting to know each character and their quirks (though I'd argue that it does so very swiftly and efficiently, sometimes with just a look). That additional 21 minutes past the two-hour mark proves worth it for the exciting shootout in the finale. Rio Bravo is an incredibly entertaining, fun, and well written picture that only gets better with age.















Comments