Ginger Snaps (2000) **1/2

I appreciate the themes and the spirit of this low budget American Werewolf In London (1981) (review) meets Heathers (1989) (review) horror film; I just wish it was better executed. I can't get past the by-the-numbers post-Scream (1996) (review) look and feel, the shitty soundtrack, and the practical effects (which, on one hand, yay) look really doofy (particularly in the reveal during the finale). 

There are aspects of Ginger Snaps (2000) that remind me of Charles BurnsBlack Hole (1995–2005), which is probably my favorite graphic novel. There are some laughs to be had (I enjoyed the Harold And Maude (1971) (review) nod), a few touching moments, and the performances are earnest, but the tone is a weird blend of humor and cynicism that never quite landed for me.  GS could also easily be 15–20 minutes shorter and still get its point across (I really started to feel the runtime in the buildup to and the final showdown).

Comments