A Quiet Place (2018) ***

I saw the trailer for A Quiet Place (2018) a couple months back and thought it looked decent but it wasn't something I was dying to see. Right before it was released the buzz was wild, so I decided to check it out. And it was really really strong for 75% of the movie, one of those horror flicks that comes along and is way better than it has any right to be.

It's (obviously) a very quiet film, a slow burner in the vein of The Witch (2015) (review) and It Comes At Night (2017) (review), but with a whole lot more tension and suspense. The performances are all strong, the direction is solid, and the score is very good.

I was willing to suspend a lot of disbelief and I was really hooked into the film until the ending unfortunately nearly undid everything. In the last 15 minutes too much of the creatures is shown and the very last shot drastically shifted the tone of the entire film (which up until then was 100% serious and realistic). Still, Place is a good film and I would revisit it.

Comments