Little Shop Of Horrors (1986) ****1/2

Back in 2015, when my friend Victoria gifted the Blu-ray of Little Shop Of Horrors (1986) to me, I had never seen it. Somehow, the film had escaped me for nearly 30 years (I still haven't seen the original 1960 film or the stage musical). When I watched LS, I fell in love with it immediately. Just the other day I was thinking about how I was due for a rewatch soon and then I saw an Instagram post by Rue Morgue magazine that it was the 35th anniversary, so I thought what better time.

On that first viewing, I watched the director's cut of the film, as I thought it might be best to see it as Frank Oz intended. This time, I decided to give the theatrical cut a go. I have to say… I like both versions! *SPOILERS* I appreciate the dark humor and love the mass destruction of the director's cut, and the miniatures are top notch; but I also really care about the characters of Seymour and Audrey, so seeing them live happily ever after in the theatrical cut is a joy (even if it takes some of the steam out of the satire). *END SPOILERS*

Little Shop is very much my speed and a delight in either version. A horror black comedy rock musical? Yes, please! Rick Moranis, Steve Martin, John Candy, and Bill Murray in the same movie?? Yes, please!! Incredible animatronic f/x??? YES, PLEASE!!! Ellen Greene is irresistibly adorable as well, plus the songs are fun, and the production design is brilliant—a winner all around.

You can find my Frank Oz Feature Films Ranked list here.






Comments