Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) (1994) ***1/2

Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) (1994) is a film which I loved in my twenties and thirties. It used to be my favorite of Michel Soavi's films, but it's since been surpassed by Stage Fright (1987) and The Sect (1991) (review) in my rankings.

There is no denying that DD is visually impressive and very out there. I appreciate the use of practical effects (via Sergio Stivaletti). There's clearly an influence/kinship to Sam Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy (reviews herehere, and here) and Peter Jackson's Dead Alive (1992) (review), all films that I love. DD does tend to come off as dime-store philosophy though. . The film’s musings on life, death, sex, existential dread, etc. never get explored in a satisfactory manner.

Additionally, there are a few icky plot points, including pedophilia in what is supposed to be the most sympathetic character, ridiculous dialogue about rape, and poorly written female roles (Anna Falchi's "She" is really just a buxom male fantasy and nothing more though I guess, to a certain extent, that is an intentional choice, given the lead character’s proclivities).

Mostly, I just wish that the filmmakers had toned down the goofiness and upped the surreality. DD is loosely based on the Dylan Dog (1986–present) fumetti (whose main character is, fittingly, visually based on Rupert Everett), though moreso on creator Tiziano Sclavi's 1991 novel which shares this film's title. (I have yet to see 2010’s Dylan Dog: Dead Of Night, a more direct adaptation of Sclavi's comics.) As far as film adaptations of fumetti go, I much prefer Mario Bava's Danger: Diabolik (1968) (review), which nails its tone (though I do recognize that DD and D:D are two very different types of films).

I will say this—Dellamorte Dellamore has the best use of a motorcycle in an Italian zombie movie this side of 1985's Demons (review)which incidentally featured director Soavi in a small role (the guy in the chrome half-mask handing out tickets). I still think DD is a great, fun, and unique film (looking fantastic on Severin Films’ recent 4K UHD) but with caveats.

















Comments